Saturday, February 6, 2021

Byron H.

I write from who I am and what I know. I write from that geographical and emotional center for me called Appalachia. 
It's a reality that if you don't know what it is, it's hard to define. It's the nuances of land and streams, the nuances of characters, a certain way of looking and listening. And a certain way of being not adequately defined but utterly known.
How we perceive ourselves and how others perceive us are two different perceptions. Behind, within the stereotypes are deeper qualities regarding character and understanding and courage and an often nearly stoic love of our land and our people --the two inseparable.
All I have to do is look outside, write and read, talk with people, remember who they are, who I am and where we are. That's enough inspiration for a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff H.

My family has been in East Tennessee for generations. I have Melungeon blood running through my veins. I live within fifty miles of where th...