Thursday, January 18, 2024

Lisa M.

1.   Describe your contribution/work in the Appalachian region.

I was one of the first-degree recipients in Folk Life Studies at Fairmont State University and a student of Dr. Judy Prozillo Byers, protégé to Dr. Ruth Ann Musick. As a student under Patty Looman, I learned to play the mountain dulcimer and participated in string jams until multiple sclerosis ended my ability/finger dexterity  to actively participate. Patty is still celebrated in North Central West Virginia at the annual PattyFest.

2.   What is your perception of Appalachia?

From a young age, I realized the importance of Appalachia. I embraced the opportunity to share the wealth of knowledge and historical significance of being a hillbilly, a mountaineer, and a member of this society of America’s best-kept secret. Appalachians are proud, hardworking, and often misunderstood. Hailing from the southern region of West Virginia, I have experienced the stereotyped image of the south.

3.   Is change needed internally within Appalachia regarding our culture’s self-perception?

When my family moved north from Logan County, WV, in 1971, I was shocked at the misconception of southern education. Rather than being backward in academics, my brother and I were considered accelerated. I realized that southern Appalachians were better educated, especially in the fine arts,  than my new northern counterparts closer to the big cities to the immediate north.   This perspective of my beloved state persists to this day. As long as the Appalachian population allows this disparity to continue, the outside world will never know the genuine value of our culture.

4.   How do we challenge damaging stereotypes of Appalachia?

The most effective way of challenging damaging stereotypes assigned to Appalachia is to continue encouraging game changing human beings. Mary Lou Retton, Kathy Mattea, Brad Paisley, Bill Withers, Katherine JohnsonSteve Harvey, Jerry West, Pearl S. Buck, Chuck Yeager, and Don Knotts lead my mental checklist of public success stories from West Virginia alone. Appalachia is comprised of 13 states, with West Virginia being the only one to be 100% immersed in Appalachia. The list of inspiring and historical people in this geographical environment is exhaustive.

5.   How does your region of Appalachia inspire you?

North Central West Virginia is home to a large diversity of immigrants who came here to find work. Over one hundred years ago the coals mines drew hundreds of non-English speaking individuals to my tri-county area (Harrison, Marion, Monongahela) alone. On December 6, 1907, the worst mining disaster in American history occurred in Marion County. 362 deaths were reported with a greater number of casualties not documented. In my little town of Monongah we honor those miners daily with the ringing of a memorial bell. I do not feel that any further explanation is necessary in describing the Appalachian inspiration created by the hopeful spirit of the residents and descendants of the families left to pick up the pieces of such a disaster.


-Lisa M. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff H.

My family has been in East Tennessee for generations. I have Melungeon blood running through my veins. I live within fifty miles of where th...